Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New House...

Commitment SCARES me.

The boys who come in and out of my life figure that out pretty quick. But the animals I have acquired are slowly teaching me the ways of commitment. In fact, Tula has lured me into giving up my furnished church only to move into an unfurnished house... Oh how persuasive puppies can be!Minimum Commitment rules for decorating the new place: Only use fabrics and furniture that I already have. No investing in permanence!

I wanted valences in my bedroom. Wood is a commitment. Cardboard is disposable. So cardboard valences it is. I am not proud of this, but not ready for further commitment yet. So...the how to's of making your place look a lot better than it is...for CHEAP.
Cardboard from Michael's. $2.99. (foam core was $9.99 and didnt come big enough)
I duck taped sides to the front.

Then staple gunned batting and the fabric onto the cardboard and added more duct tape for a better hold.
I stapled ribbon loops that will hang on cup hooks that i have screwed into the ceiling.

This is the room post cardboard valences.
Post Valences. Big difference huh?

One project down, many to go.
-One Day I'll be able to Handle the Commitment of Wood over Cardboard, Bradley.

13 comments:

  1. Looks like I've got my weekend project all set to go!! ADORE your fabric!!Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm impressed. Great idea and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drapes look DIVINE!!! Great job. Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey you are a design genius. Great idea!! You know we're all gonna steal it ;-) Commitment or not ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. cuteeee houseee lady! cant wait for me to be in it soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. so totally fabulous and LOVE the brown and white ikat print. Better get to work with my new apartment. Apart from being a commitment-phobe, I'm also a procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks fantastic! Of course I'm stealing it!

    I think our friend Peter lived in your (now former) church before you did.......such a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the quick tip on decorating......great if you want to switch things up too! Love the deep window sills...congrats on the new pad~looking forwarding to seeing more on how you cozy it up!
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CK This is so incredibly fantastic!!! It looks gorgeous. What ingenuity to think of cup hooks from the ceiling! Gorgeous. Looking forward to more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never thought of doing something like that - it looks great! And easy! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete